Sometimes its hard to know where to begin if you’re a newbie to weekly comics! Girl Gang Releases is a weekly series where we identify some of our favorite new comic releases for each Wednesday.
New Girl Gang Releases for 3/4/15:
- Angela Asgard’s Assassin #4 (Marvel) – When Maddi and I first heard of a new female-led Marvel series at NYCC, we were very excited. I am a huge fan of all things Asgardian, and hearing that Kieron Gillen would be on board just made us even more excited. However, we immediately rolled our eyes once we saw the cover: a tall, busty woman with long flowing hair and (wait for it) a metal armored bikini. It really seems that by now everyone would have realized that bikini armor is ridiculous, impractical, and completely sexist. How could that possibly be comfortable? Does Angela have a magical force field around her belly, upper thighs, and chest that allows her to go armorless in those specific locations? I decided to pick up issue #1 of Angela anyways, and I am glad I did. Angela is the impressive level of badass I have come to expect from female Asgardian warriors, and her adventures are really fun. I just wish we could have a character that both identifies as female AND has full and realistic body armor!
- Princess Leia #1 (Marvel) – I may or may not have rewatched A New Hope on Sunday just to get prepared for this comic. Princess Leia is one of my all-time favorite characters, and I can’t WAIT to get my hands on this issue. The story follows Leia after the destruction of the Death Star as she tries to find her place in a world without Alderaan. If the previous Star Wars comics coming out of Marvel are any indication, this should be a great read. Also, how could you say no to that Skottie Young variant cover?
- Rat Queens #9 (Image) – I picked up a Rat Queens trade over Christmas when my local shop was having a sale. ‘Female ladies with weapons?’, I thought to myself. ‘Sign me up!’ I was definitely not prepared to fall madly in love with a crazy, often very bloody, super incredible series that I would reread at least 6 times in the following week. Rat Queens is a very special kind of story that draws you in from the first panel and spits you back out wondering where all of these feelings about Dwarven beard gender norms came from. I was happy to see that author Kurtis Wiebe made the decision to end his working relationship with Roc Upchurch after Upchurch was arrested for domestic violence and I was very proud to see that Tess Fowler had been asked to do last month’s special issue. I’m so excited that the Rat Queens are finally back and I can’t wait to see what new artist Stjepan Šejić is going to bring to the table.
- Saga #26 (Image) – If you have any familiarity with comics at all, you have heard of Saga. Saga is one of the most original, amazing, beautiful comics being released right now. With its incredible characters and a suspenseful plotline, Saga is definitely a must-read. And let’s be real, even if the story wasn’t so great, Saga would be worth picking up if only to see Fiona Staples’ stunning artwork. This month’s issue follows Gwendolyn, Sophie, and my personal favorite Lying Cat as they search for a cure for The Will.
- Spider-Woman #4 (Marvel) – Poor Jessica Drew. The announcement of her title came around the same time that the infamous Milos Manara cover was released, and it seems like because of that the series hasn’t been given a real chance – especially because Marvel decided to release the cover anyways! As much as I adore Jess, she never seems to get an artist who understands basic female anatomy. Although I’ve enjoyed the story thus far, especially when Silk is involved, I can’t help but get distracted by the way the girls are posed in the panels. HOWEVER, this week debuts Jessica’s brand new far more comfortable-looking costume. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how her new duds affect her action poses.
What other titles should we be picking up that we should be adding to this list or don’t know about? Let us know in the comments or at email@example.com!
Happy Wednesday girl gang!