Sometimes its hard to know where to begin if you’re a newbie to weekly comics! This is the first in a weekly series where we identify some of our favorite new comic releases for each Wednesday, along with a brief description of the title.
New Girl Gang Releases for 2/25/15:
- Tomb Raider #13 (Dark Horse) – We all know that Lara Croft was one of the first video games to have a female lead, and this comic begins a new arc for Croft she works for the British Museum. The covers of this title are incredible, and I might be slightly obsessed with Michael Atiyeh’s stunning coloring in the preview.
- Gotham Academy #5 (DC Comics) – This one time at NYCC I passed the Gotham Academy booth and said “I’ve heard this is good!”, and the man next to me said “Thanks!” And then I realized I had awkwardly been talking about a title in front of its artist. I immediately read this comic in an attempt to avoid that ever happening again, and I’m so glad I did. Gotham Academy follows students at Gotham’s most prestigious prep school and is super enjoyable, even if you aren’t a sucker for school teen dramas like I am.
- Orphan Black #1 (IDW) – If you’ve ever been on Tumblr, you’ve heard of Orphan Black. The BBC America show’s popularity has increased like crazy in the past year, leading to this comic series written by the show’s co-creator John Fawcett. Orphan Black is about one woman discovering the existence of multiple clones of herself in the world, and that there are dangerous people looking for them. The description of this new title says that it will expand the Orphan Black universe and unearth new conspiracies. Not to mention that it will be awesome to see the gorgeous face of Tatiana Maslany in comic book form.
- The Wicked and the Divine #8 (Image Comics) – If you aren’t reading WicDiv, you are missing out. This is the most original title out there right now, and the Gillen-McKelvie Dream Team seems to be unstoppable. It might actually be impossible to not fall in love with every single character in this book. WicDiv is about the The Pantheon, a group of young Gods with supernatural powers who are reincarnated 90 every years. The Pantheon and are the ultimate rock stars with thousands of adoring fans, including Laura, who gets far more than she was looking for. Although, I should warn you that if you start reading this title you will be cursing at the end of every issue knowing you have to wait an entire month until the next one.
- Spider-Gwen #1 (Marvel Comics) – The comic world has been waiting very impatiently for this title since they announced it at NYCC in October. This is for all the fans, like me, who left Spider-Man 2 feeling pissed off about yet another occurrence of killing off an amazing female character for the purpose of the male lead ~finding himself~. Thank God Marvel finally gave Gwen the treatment she deserves. Also, the variant covers for this are some of the coolest ever, including the classic Skottie Young baby variant and a gorgeous one from Adam Hughes, finally giving us some new AH! Marvel art. Also, is Gwen’s new costume not the coolest thing of all time? Calling it now: this book is gonna be amazing.
What other titles should we be picking up that we should be adding to this list or don’t know about? Let us know in the comments or at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Happy Wednesday girl gang!